Request a JD Diploma

Replace your bachelor of laws (LLB) diploma with a Juris Doctor (JD) diploma.

Effective with the June 2009 Convocation, the Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree designation was renamed to a Juris Doctor (JD) degree. Alumni who received an LLB degree may elect to change their designation to a JD degree.

Alumni who elect to change their degree designation can expect the following:

  • A notation will be added to your academic record and transcript that the degree was renamed.
  • A new diploma with the Juris Doctor (JD) designation will be issued to you using the diploma design and layout currently in effect; you may keep your original LLB diploma.
  • To receive your replacement diploma within three to four weeks from receipt of the form.
  • Alumni who graduated prior to 1994, should anticipate a longer turnaround of up to six weeks.

Please note: during busy and peak times, such as examination periods and convocation as well as University closures, processing times will increase. Questions regarding your application should be sent to

Follow this process to replace your LLB diploma with a JD diploma:

  1. Complete and submit a Request for a JD Diploma for LLB Alumni Form, including credit card information, by fax at 416-736-5444, or place it in the drop box in the lobby of the Bennett Centre for Student Services (the building is open 24 hours a day).

Please note: if you already have a JD degree designation (i.e. your diploma was issued on June 2009 or later) or if you have an LLB designation and wish to order a replacement but not change your degree, fill out and fax a Replacement/Duplicate Diploma Order Form.

Your full legal name, as shown on the Student Information System, is what is used on official University documents, such as transcripts and diplomas.

Please note: you will need to sign in with your Passport York username and password. If you graduated within the past 10 years, have forgotten your Passport York username and password, and want to re-set your access, please go Computing at York.

If you graduated more than 10 years ago and were never given access to Passport York, please check the name on your LLB diploma. If your official name is different to what is currently printed on your LLB diploma, please complete the name change box in the Request for a JD Diploma for LLB Alumni Form and submit with the appropriate supporting documentation.

A request for a name change must be supported by original or certified/notarized copies of the following documents, depending on the reason for the name change.

  • Name change by marriage: Canadian marriage certificate or foreign marriage certificate (must be translated into English) or divorce order or judgment.
  • Name change by law: certificate or court order made under a provincial change of name act or under similar legislation.
  • Return to maiden name: birth certificate and valid photo identification (passport or driver’s licence).
  • Given name change: when given names need to be modified, valid photo identification (passport or driver’s licence), which provides proof of the modification, is required. These documents are not valid for other types of changes.
  1. Forms will be processed for a fee of $80 not including mailing charges.
  1. To receive your JD diploma you can either pick it up at Registrarial Services in the lobby of the Bennett Centre for Student Services during regular office hours or you may arrange to have it mailed to you. If you want to pick up your diploma in person, please ensure that you have photo identification with you. If you choose to have it mailed, mailing charges are:
    • $35 in Canada
    • $50 in the United States
    • $100 International

    All diplomas are sent through UPS and require a signature from the receiving party. When York University ships your diploma, UPS will be provided with your e-mail address and they will e-mail you a shipping confirmation and tracking number. If there is no one home at the time of delivery, UPS will leave a card in your mailbox indicating that an attempt was made to deliver the diploma or certificate. The diploma or certificate will then be sent to a local distribution centre for pick up by you at a later time. Diplomas and certificates that are returned to the University as undeliverable will be filed and held until the next December or July (whichever is sooner). It is the graduate's responsibility to pay for another mailing for any diplomas or certificates that are returned, so please ensure that the address information that you submit is correct.